The Sustainable Communities Regional Planning Grant Program supports locally-led collaborative efforts that bring together diverse interests from the many municipalities in a region to determine how to best target housing, economic and workforce development, and infrastructure investments to create more jobs and regional economic activity.
The Community Challenge Grant Program fosters reform and reduces barriers to achieving affordable, economically vital, and sustainable communities. Community Challenge efforts include amending or replacing local master plans, zoning codes, and building codes to promote mixed-use development, affordable housing, the reuse of older buildings, and similar activities.
The Sustainable Communities Initiative is implemented by the HUD Office of Economic Resilience.
Program Overview Datasets
Data and Documents by Type
Existing SCI Research
- Classifying Sustainability Policy Themes from SCI (Schilling, 2011)
- Planting Seeds for a Sustainable Future (Chapple and Mattiuzzi, 2013)
- SCI Progress Report (Summit Consulting, 2013)
- Collective Impacts of SCI (Marsh, 2014)
- Reconciling Livability and Sustainability: Conceptual and Practical Implications for Planning (Gough, 2015)
- VCU SCI Survey (Gough, 2015)