Whole House and Building Process Redesign
The Partnership for Advancing Technology in Housing (PATH) promotes the application of technology to improve the affordability and value of new and existing homes. The PATH program partners recognize the importance of setting priorities for research and technology development that will enable the home building industry to work towards the PATH mission. This priority-setting is known as "roadmapping."
As part of the Technology Roadmap Series, this report explores a systems-oriented view of houses and the process we use to build them to see if there are ways to do it faster, at lower cost, with higher quality.
Concepts discussed include:
- Reducing the number of components required to build a house.
- Reducing the number of components assembled on site.
- Modularizing bathrooms and/or kitchens, and similar functions.
- Plumbing manifolds, wiring chases, and HVAC distribution.
- Flexible, adaptable space in the new designs.
To learn more about PATH, visit the PATH Web Site. More information on the Technology Roadmap Series is also available on the PATH Roadmapping Web Site.