A Methodology for Seismic Design and Construction and Single-Family Dwellings
This report presents the results of an in-depth effort to develop design and construction practices for single-family residences that minimize the potential economic loss and the lifeloss risk associated with earthquakes. The report:
- Discusses the ways structures behave when subjected to seismic forces;
- Sets forth suggested design criteria for conventional layouts of dwellings constructed of conventional materials;
- Presents construction details that do not require the designer to perform analytical calculations;
- Suggests procedures for efficient plan-checking; and
- Presents recommendations including details and schedules for use in the field by construction personnel and building inspectors.